Dems launch ‘Resistance Summer’

Dems launch 'Resistance Summer'
© Getty

The Democratic National Committee is attempting to harness resistance to President Trump into a national effort aimed at building out state and local party ranks.

Billed as the “Resistance Summer,” the DNC will hold events with allies across the country in early June before sponsoring a national training summit in the hopes of registering scores of new Democratic voters.

The move is the first concrete action from Democrats’ promise to return to a “50-state solution” in light of massive Republican gains in state legislatures across the country.

“There has been an explosion of activism and energy after the election of Donald Trump

and we need to turn this moment into a movement,” DNC Chairman Tom Perez said in a statement.

“As the Democratic Party, it is our role to support this activism and energy, and convert it into electoral wins up-and-down the ballot by making sure state parties have the tools and resources they need to succeed.”

Minnesota Rep. Keith Ellison, the deputy chairman of the DNC, joined Perez in the statement, calling the summer action “the starting point” for the party’s efforts to organize the resistance movement into a larger political force.

“We have never had a better opportunity to win up-and-down the ballot. But showing up is not enough. We have to organize, knock on doors, and motivate voters to the polls. Only then can we deliver what hardworking American families need,” he added.

The centerpiece of the effort will be matching grants to help state parties fund organizers and fellows. According to The Associated Press, the initial grant money will go to Arizona, Massachusetts, Michigan, Kansas and South Dakota, a cross-section of states with a variety of electoral needs.

Source

‘I miss Barack Obama’: Top Democratic leaders plot path to resisting Trump’s agenda

tom-perez

Tom Perez. Sean Gallup / Getty Images Staff

Many of the high-profile attendees at the National Action Network annual convention in New York on Wednesday were the same that appeared at the convention last year.

Much as he did last year, host Al Sharpton pointed out members of his family, famous radio hosts, and parents of the victims of gun violence.

But one year later, the environment has changed.

In his opening remarks, Sharpton recalled what black Americans could do — when President Barack Obama was in office — when faced with discriminatory voting laws and instances of apparent racially biased policing.

“We could say we were going to the Justice Department, we were going national,” Sharpton said. “That does not seem like an option that will bear fruit.”

Democratic National Committee Chair Tom Perez framed the situation more bluntly.

“I miss Barack Obama,” Perez said in the opening of his speech.

With Obama’s former attorney general and deputy attorney general for civil rights onstage, the opening speeches in midtown Manhattan were colored by the contrast between Obama-era criminal justice and voting policies and the new administration’s tough-on-crime promises and support for more restrictive voting laws.

Many prominent African-American political figures have voiced concern that the new administration will not take an aggressive stance on prosecuting potential civil-rights violations. Activists have criticized President Donald Trump’s past birther crusade against Obama, bizarre accusations against the exonerated “Central Park 5,” and selection of Jeff Sessions to serve as attorney despite his failed prosecution of a 1985 voter fraud case against black civil-rights activists.

Top Trump allies have praised the new administration’s planned shifts.

Speaking at an Intelligence Squared debate in Manhattan on Monday, top Trump surrogate and Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach praised Sessions, saying the DOJ has “a lot of ideologically driven attorneys in the civil-rights division, especially.”

During the 2016 election, African-American voters overwhelmingly supported Hillary Clinton, who addressed the conference last year while pledging to push for criminal justice reform and gun control.

Clinton’s name wasn’t mentioned by NAN’s keynote speakers on the first day of the event. They focused instead on resisting Trump through grassroots action, legal opposition, and voter mobilization to win back state and local offices, where Democrats have seen record losses over the past eight years.

Former Attorney General Eric Holder spoke at length about the need to fight restrictive voter ID laws that critics say have unfairly attempted to curb minority voting.

“Let’s signal to the world that in America today, the pursuit of a more perfect union lives on,” Holder said. “Generations before us did not fail in that quest. Now it is our time.”

Holder mocked Trump’s claim that the 2016 election was “rigged,” saying the president’s unfounded assertion that 3 million to 5 million people voted against him in the 2016 election laid the groundwork for restrictive voting laws.

“With undoubtedly false claims that 3 to 5 million voted illegally in the last election, a predicate has been laid for further voter suppression efforts,” Holder said.

Other speakers at the event pledged to take up the mantle where the Department of Justice stood down and wage aggressive legal battles against any perceived discrimination.

Referring to Sessions as the nation’s “so-called attorney general,” New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman blasted Sessions’ dismissal of Hawaii as an “island in the Pacific” after a Hawaii judge blocked Trump’s proposed travel ban.

Schneiderman touted his own legal actions against Trump University last year, telling the crowd to applause that the sole silver lining was that activists at the conference could confront discrimination head-on.

“The difference now is that the lines are more clearly drawn,” Schneiderman said. “What was once hidden and said in whispers is now out in the open for all to see.”

He added: “We should take this conference as the chance to rise … from the chaos of protest and resistance to a movement of social equality, which is what this will become.”

Source

Arzobispado invita a acoger campaña de vacunación

Arzobispado invita a acoger campaña de vacunación

dscvx

Ante la Campaña de Vacunación contra el Virus del Papiloma Humano promovida por el Ministerio de Salud y el Ministerio de Educación, después de haber consultado a expertos en la materia, de conocer la aprobación de la Sociedad Dominicana de Pediatría, la Sociedad Dominicana de Ginecoobstetricia, la Sociedad Dominicana de Infectología, el Colegio Dominicano de Médicos y de estudiar las conclusiones de la Sociedad Americana contra el Cáncer, les expresamos nuestras consideraciones:
1. El Virus del Papiloma Humano puede llevar al cáncer de cuello del útero, de cáncer anogenital, de garganta, de cabeza y de amígdalas. En este momento, en la República Dominicana son diagnosticadas cada año más de 1500 mujeres con cáncer del cuello del útero, siendo el 76% de los casos vinculados a este virus. Este cáncer del cuello uterino es la segunda causa de muerte por cáncer en nuestro país.

2. Gracias a Dios, ya se ha encontrado la vacuna que crea inmunidad contra el Virus del Papiloma Humano. La edad ideal para aplicar esta vacuna es la de 9 a 14 años, en dos dosis con diferencia de 6 meses a partir de la primera dosis.

3. Según los especialistas, los efectos secundarios de esta vacuna son similares a los de otras vacunas como dolor, hinchazón en el área de aplicación de la vacuna, fiebre, malestar general y taquicardia. Pero, según la Asociación Americana contra el Cáncer en su Informe sobre esta vacuna, no hay datos que sugieran que la misma cause infertilidad como se ha propagado por las redes, medios sociales y por el rumor popular. Al contrario, puede ayudar a proteger la fertilidad al prevenir problemas ginecológicos relacionados con el tratamiento del cáncer cervical.

4. En virtud de los beneficios que esta vacuna puede traer a nuestro país, especialmente a nuestras mujeres, invitamos a que acojamos este esfuerzo del Ministerio de Salud y del Ministerio de Educación, para proveerla a toda la población femenina de 9 a 10 años. De manera especial, deseamos que en nuestras Parroquias, Centros Educativos e instituciones de salud promovamos su aceptación en las familias y en las niñas que la recibirán.

Hna. Trinidad Ayala, mc P. José Navarro, sj
Pastoral de la Salud Pastoral Materno-Infantil
P. Mario de la Cruz Mons. Daniel Lorenzo Vargas Salazar
Vicaría Episcopal de Pastoral Educativa Vicario Episcopal de Pastoral
Hna. Patria Fernández, mmssccc
Conferencia Dominicana de Religiosos (CONDOR)
Calle Pellerano Alfau #3, Ciudad Colonial. Apdo. Postal 186 • Tels.: 809.682.0815 / 809.221.3126
Fax: 809.687.9304 • E-mail: vicariadepastoral@hotmail.com • Santo Domingo, República Dominicana

 

Fuente

Security boosted along Dominican Republic/Haiti border

Security boosted along Dominican Republic/Haiti border

Sunday, April 23, 2017

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (CMC) —Security along the border between the Dominican Republic and Haiti has been increased following plans by the United Nations to withdraw is peacekeepers, MINUSTAH from Haiti.

On Friday, Defense minister Rubén Darío Paulino said the number of Dominican troops will be gradually increased all along 391-kilometer border until November.

“On November 7, they’ll be withdrawn (Peacekeepers) entirely, we as armed forces will deploy the necessary equipment of both the Army and Border Security to strengthen our border. We are in sufficient capacity to do so,” he said.

Paulino’s statement follows a warning from National Investigations Department (DNI) director Siegfried Pared that the withdrawal of MINUSTAH troops from Haiti would force beefed up surveillance along the border.

Last week, the head of the United Nations Stabilization mission Sandra Honoré, said the mission will cease operations in Haiti within six months.

Addressing the United Nations Security Council, Honoré said that the progress achieved during the past 13 years in Haiti’s stabilisation process is notable and it “is therefore timely to reshape the partnership among the international community, the United Nations and Haiti with a view to ensuring the sustainability of this progress.

The UN mission, established in June 2004 by a UN Security Council resolution, succeeded a Multinational Interim Force (MIF) after then President Bertrand Aristide departed Haiti for exile in the aftermath of an armed conflict, which spread, to several cities across the country.

In January 2010, the Security Council, by resolution, endorsed the Secretary-General’s recommendation to increase the overall force levels of MINUSTAH to support the immediate recovery, reconstruction and stability efforts in the country.

Following the completion of Presidential elections in 2011, MINUSTAH has been working to fulfill its original mandate to restore a secure and stable environment, to promote the political process, to strengthen Haiti’s government institutions and rule-of-law-structures, as well as to promote and to protect human rights.

 

Source:

http://m.jamaicaobserver.com/mobile/news/Security-boosted-along-Dominican-Republic-Haiti-border